ok, so one of the first things I thought when I used this torch for the first time was…oh dear, I’m going to need a torchtop marver, where the hell am I gonna put one? do they even make one?
apparently they do, but I don’t really fancy ordering one from the states, waiting, and paying customs and the RM ransom. so…
I got the nice man at the place that cut my stainless steel for my worktops, to also cut me a couple of 1″ strips, and 2 ” strips.
I bent the two smaller ones to fit the torch, trimmed them, and drilled them. One for the top, and one for the bottom.
The other two I bent into L shapes so that they form a backstop for any bits of murrini etc that I would put on the marver. They’re also drilled, and the graphite has a pilot hole for the screw. you need to do some very careful marking so it all lines up.
so now the two thinner strips go on the torch:
then the L shaped sections go on top, then the graphite, all held together with a small screw from the underneath.
I got the graphite from another lampworker, it was a little scruffy, but it tidies up nicely if you’re willing to get covered in graphite using sandpaper on it (outdoors of course, and with appropriate safety gear, of course!)
there are a couple of disadvantages to this double sided style, you can’t for instance straighten up the left hand end of a bead, or roll that side of a bi-cone but I’ve got hand held marvers for that. I didn’t like the idea of having one big one over the top, it seemed very clunky and also you can’t see where the torch face is in relation to your work.
still, this one does alot of things that torch marvers do, despite its being in two halves, it holds murrini, small bits of dichroic, and foil and pre-warms them. in fact, its quite nice, because I put them on the right-hand one, and then I can still marver on the left, without any of them getting in the way.
in short, it may not be perfect, but its alot better than not having one at all!