More Dragons…


I found myself some energy and time and sat down to make a dragon, which turned into three!

I started by doing some more drawing, from the pictures I gathered in my sketchbook,  I wanted to try again at the flat base bead with sculptural just on the front, and I was aiming for a more wearable type of bead…erm, well I failed on that score, but who cares, I have this guy:

Fearsome!
Fearsome!

He really captures the feel of the type of dragon I was after, the Chinese ‘dragon dance’ hes fearsome, yet decorative…I can almost hear jingling and drums…

oh, and hes extremely large! (for a bead anyway)

watch out..he does bite!
watch out..he does bite!
Green Dragon - upper view
Green Dragon - upper view

I thought perhaps to make a wearable dragon bead it might be best to go smaller, which brings a whole other set of challenges, in the detail! I also went back to the other way around and the more 3D version.

little red
little red

so this cheerful, cheeky and somewhat toothy little fella came about

he’s much smaller:

toothy little guy
toothy little guy
too cute to bite you?
too cute to bite you?

I’ve been trying to solve problems as I go, you’ll notice the antlers have been simplified, and gained balls on the ends, decorative, yet a little more practical and definitely less pointy for wearing!

after this one, I decided the wearable element wasn’t working for now, and so I went bigger again, also trying to iron out some weight issues by adding larger cheek fins and a chin fin, so that he hangs the right way up, still not enough though.

Blue Dragon
Blue Dragon
snouty
snouty
cheek fins
cheek fins
keeping an eye on you
keeping an eye on you
one more
one more
All three
All three

Initially I was disappointed when I opened the kiln, as there were one or two cracks, and an antler came off the blue one (it has since been glued back on and he has now been  kindly ‘adopted’ by my brother!) but then I remembered that they are only drafts, practice ones, and I still wouldn’t sell them yet, even if they were perfect.

so, I’ll make more, I’ll get even better and I’ll sort out more issues as I go along.

I’ve already sorted several, the colours are better on these, and I’m really pleased with the eyes on the first one, getting much more symmetrical and crisp colour definition.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “More Dragons…

  1. I love love love the blue one. I’ve been making more ogre types and adding enamels but a bit hindered at the mo as one of my oxy’s has had to go back to Creative Glass, just out of it’s guarantee period. I love the way you’re doing the teeth as I’m having problems with fangs at the moment. I’ll try with a thinner stringer.

    1. oh no…poor oxy!
      I’m only working on a minor with one for these, but I’m planning on hooking up the second to the midrange soon!

      your ogres are looking really cool with the enamels, the Easter island head too!

      The trick with the teeth I’m finding, is to add more glass than you want the finished size to be, and then you can pull it out more, and just flame cut at the right point. I added a blob with 2mm stringer, then pulled it with a slightly thinner one. I also do that wiggle thing that Marshall did on the Hare’s ears. I still need to work on the teeth, I don’t want that ball on the end.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s